Today, I got up and I cleaned my makeup section. This time last year I would have been expanding my makeup section as I have been for the past 8 years. Probably in August 2017, I gave up makeup, I just didn’t care for it anymore. It’s hard for me to look in the mirror in general, to put on “my face”, I just give people what they get, my natural face. I have given up on makeup. It’s not me.
I tossed most of my makeup. I kept mascara, blush, and foundation. Originally, I kept more. I literally stopped writing mid-post when I started writing out what I kept. I got up, went to my makeup drawer and threw out more than half of what I left. I don’t know why I kept so much more than what I truly needed. I kept the basics in case I want to wear makeup (occasionally it happens) and tossed the rest.
Here are a few tips to help others to go through their beauty section:
- If it isn’t your shade, get rid of it
- Crappy make-up, if you hate the lipstick you are wearing because it always smears, get rid of it. I bet you can find almost the same color that doesn’t smear and you will enjoy your make up a lot more.
- Be realistic, how often do you use a smoky eye set? Once every 6 months is not worth having a whole palette of eyeshadows you maybe use twice a year.
- Ask yourself, would I buy this today? Is this still something I would want or am I keeping this because I feel guilty for trashing it.
- Realize expiration dates! It is recommended to change out your mascara every 6 months.
Here is a table for the average life for a makeup product
Powders – around 2 years
Foundations – 6-12 months
Creams – 12-18 months
Concealer – 6-12 months
Pencils – 12 months
Mascara – 3-6 months
Lipsticks – 12-18 months
I hope this can help some people. May your decluttering goals be attainable and in reach!